Don Abney has owned and handled dogs for most of his life. His early training was
taught by his father, who presented him with his first dog when he was eight years old. That dog, Skippy, was a wild dog that had been captured during a rabbit hunting expedition. Don was aided in
teaching this dog to sit, lie down, shake hands, beg, wait while food was being dispensed, and ride in a wagon or on a three wheeled bike with him. From there, dog training appeared nothing more than
Years later it was realized that there was a talent for handling dogs, and Don began instructing professionally. Don is in high demand for his talent as a speaker and instructor at seminars
covering topics such as: Obedience Training, Tracker Training, Search and Rescue Dogs, Scent Work (all facets), and Behavior Problems. He has lectured on the subjects of Canine Training, Canine
Tracking, the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, How to Greet a Strange dog, and the Hug-A-Tree and Survive program, and has provided numerous
demonstrations with his SAR Dog, Ladyhawke.
- Master Trainer in Obedience, Tracking, Hunting, Search & Rescue, and Detector Dogs since 1980.
- Court Certified Expert in the field of Canine Training & Tracking through the Criminal District Courts of New Orleans, Louisiana, December 10, 1998, by Judge Julian Parker.
- UKC Conformation & Jr. Showmanship Judge.
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator.
- Co-author of bill signed into the Louisiana legislature presenting CGC as a dog defensive law.
- Member of The Association of Pet Dog Trainers APDT
- Licensed by the Drug Enforcement Agency as a Researcher in the Field of Canine Training - 1992.
- Studies and Training in Dog Psychology, Animal Behavior, Breeding & Genetics, and Canine Nutrition and Health Care
- Trained and experienced in handling Dangerous, Vicious, and Nuisance Animals since 1994, with a commendation from St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's
- Developer and Presenter of the Lost and Safe Program.
- Founding member and trainer of Louisiana Search and Rescue Dogs, Inc. 1989 - 1996.
- Member of the National Association of Search and Rescue 1989 - 2000
- Retired Lieutenant with St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office, Search and Rescue Division.
- Owner, Handler, and Trainer of Ladyhawke, the First registered Louisiana Catahoula certified in Search and Rescue and Narcotic Detection to be commissioned by Law Enforcement, and receive the Service Champion Award for outstanding work in Community Service. Presented by the National Association of Louisiana
- Recipient of the Excellence in Training award presented by Sigma Chemical Corporation.
- Author of The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. A book on the history, breeding, and care of Louisiana Catahoulas.(Out of Print)
- Author of The Abney Method to Owning a Dog. A book on care and maintenance, behaviors, first aid, choosing and training a dog.
- Author of Canine Tracking Guide. A book on choosing and training a dog for human, animal, competition and blood tracking. Includes care and maintenance, and first aid.
- Author of The Complete Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. A book on the updated history, breeding, and care of Louisiana Catahoulas.
- Certified breeder of registered Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs since 1985. (N.A.L.C.)
- Past President of the American Catahoula Association.
- Vice President of the Great Southern Kennel Club. A United Kennel Club (UKC) Organization.2003-2007
- President of the Great Southern Kennel Club. A United Kennel Club (UKC) Organization.2007-2008
- President of the Catahoula Owners, Breeders, and Research Association (COBRA).2004-Present